Amazing Which iPhones Won’t Get iOS 17 and Why? available in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Excited about iOS 17? Keep in mind not everyone can get it. Every year, some iPhones don’t make the cut and can’t update to the newest iOS. Last year, we saw many iPhones weren’t compatible with iOS 16, and this year is no different. So, will your iPhone get iOS 17, or will it miss out? Keep reading to find out which iPhones can’t update, learn why, and see what comes next for them.
Which iPhone Models Don’t Support iOS 17?
The unveiling of iOS 17 has caused a stir in the Apple community. However, not all iPhone models will have the pleasure of experiencing the latest updates and features that iOS 17 brings to the table. There are a number of iPhone models that don’t support iOS 17. Some notable models include iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X. All these models were released in 2017.
Apart from these, all iPhone models incompatible with iOS 16 won’t receive the iOS 17 update.
Like clockwork, every year sees some iPhones saying farewell to the opportunity of running the most recent iOS version, and this time is no exception. However, you’re safe if you have an iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. All these models were released in 2018, so they will be receiving the iOS 17 update.
Which iPhone Models Will Get the iOS 17 Update?
Besides the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, the following iPhone models will get the iOS update:
Why Does Apple Drop Support for Older iPhones?
Apple’s annual ritual of excluding a few older models from the latest software update is well-established. Apple usually supports its devices with new software updates for about 5 years. With Apple’s track record of providing new software updates for devices for about five years, it’s no surprise the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, launched in 2017, are not included in the iOS 17 rollout.
The purpose behind this exclusion is to maintain optimal performance. While the older iPhones once reigned supreme, they no longer have the necessary processing capabilities to support all the iOS 17 features. The advanced functions of iOS 17 demand more hardware power than these older models can provide.
Some key reasons why Apple drops support for older iPhone models when releasing new iOS updates are as follows:
- 📱 Hardware limitations: As technology progresses, newer versions of iOS often require more processing power, better graphics capabilities, or other hardware features that older iPhones lack. By limiting updates to models that can adequately support the new features, Apple ensures a smoother, more consistent user experience across all devices running the new iOS.
- 🖥️ Software efficiency: It’s more efficient for Apple’s software developers to focus their efforts on optimizing iOS for a limited range of hardware. This allows them to take full advantage of newer hardware capabilities without needing to worry about compatibility with older, less capable devices.
- 🔒 Security: Older devices may not have the necessary hardware to support the latest security features, making it harder to ensure their security with new iOS versions. Cutting off support for these older devices allows Apple to focus on providing the best possible security for devices that can fully support it.
- 💸 Encouraging upgrades: Apple, like any technology company, wants users to upgrade their devices regularly. By limiting iOS updates to newer models, they encourage users with older iPhones to upgrade to access the latest features and improvements.
- 👥 User experience: New iOS versions are designed to take advantage of the increased processing power, larger and higher-resolution displays, and other advanced features of the newer iPhones. If Apple continues supporting older models, they might need to scale back these advancements to ensure compatibility, leading to a subpar user experience.
It’s important to note that even when Apple drops support for a particular iPhone model, that device will continue to function and can still download and install apps that are compatible with its last supported iOS version. However, the user won’t be able to access new features or improvements introduced in later iOS versions and, over time, may face increasing security risks as Apple and third-party developers focus their security efforts on newer iOS versions.
What Apple Dropping iOS 17 Support Means for Outdated iPhones
When Apple drops support for certain iPhone models in an update like iOS 17, it means several things for those devices:
- 🚫 No New Features: These older iPhones will not be able to access the new features and enhancements that come with iOS 17. These can include improvements in user interface, added functionality, and new apps or services that are only available on the latest iOS version.
- 📲 Limited App Compatibility: Over time, many developers update their apps to take advantage of the features and capabilities of newer iOS versions. As a result, some new apps or app updates may not be compatible with older versions of iOS, limiting what you can do with an older iPhone.
- 🔓 Potential Security Risks: New iOS versions often include updates to security features and fixes for vulnerabilities. Although Apple typically maintains security support for older versions of iOS for some time, eventually, those older versions will not receive the security updates provided in the newest iOS, which could potentially expose those devices to security risks.
- 💻 Performance Issues: As apps and services adapt to newer iOS versions, performance on older versions may suffer. This can lead to slower load times, glitches, and other issues when using apps that have been optimized for the latest iOS.
- 🛠️ No Technical Support: Apple and other tech support services typically focus their efforts on current and recent iOS versions. As a result, finding solutions for problems can be more difficult, as fewer resources will be dedicated to addressing issues on the unsupported version.
In spite of these drawbacks, it’s important to remember that unsupported iPhones won’t suddenly stop working. They will continue to function as normal, but without the benefits and improvements that come with the latest iOS version. Users of these devices will have to decide whether to continue using their current iPhone or upgrade to a newer model that can support the latest iOS.
Is Your iPhone Compatible With iOS 17?
Apple typically provides updates for devices that are up to five or six years old, but the specifics can vary with each new release.
For the most accurate information, you should check Apple’s official website or look in the Software Update section of your iPhone’s Settings app, which will typically provide information on whether an update is available for your specific model.
Remember, even if your device can’t be updated to the latest iOS version, it will still work fine for most tasks, although you won’t have access to any new features or improvements introduced in the update.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which iPhone models will not be able to update to iOS 17?
Certain iPhone models will not be able to update to iOS 17. These include the iPhone SE (2020 and 2022), iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11 series, iPhone 12 series, iPhone 13 series, and iPhone 14 series. For these models, iOS 17’s hardware demands exceed their capabilities, hence the lack of update availability.
2. Why are some iPhone models unable to update to iOS 17?
Some iPhone models are unable to update to iOS 17 due to hardware limitations and compatibility issues. As technology advances, newer iOS versions require more processing power and other capabilities, which these older models may not possess, preventing them from supporting the update.
3. What is Apple’s usual policy for iOS updates?
Typically, Apple provides software updates for devices that are up to five or six years old. This approach ensures a significant proportion of devices are running the latest software, offering improved security, new features, and performance enhancements.
4. How can I check if my iPhone is compatible with iOS 17?
To check if your iPhone is compatible with iOS 17, navigate to Settings, then General, and select Software Update. If your device is compatible, you’ll see an option to update to iOS 17. Alternatively, visit Apple’s official website for a list of compatible devices.
5. What should I do if my iPhone won’t receive the iOS 17 update?
If your iPhone won’t receive the iOS 17 update, you can continue using your current iOS version, consider upgrading to a newer iPhone that supports iOS 17, or explore alternative smartphone platforms if you wish to have the latest software updates and features. You can buy used iPhones, including used iPhone 14, from Phone Daddy at affordable prices and enjoy the perks of iOS 17.